South Australian energy concessions

SA Government Energy Concession

This concession helps with the cost of energy bills for eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes. The energy concession is up to $226.67 for the 2019-20 financial year and covers both electricity and gas payments (including LPG bottled gas).


Contact the Department of Human Services (DHS) to see if you’re eligible or to apply for the concession. Lumo Energy cannot determine eligibility.

Medical heating and cooling concession

The Medical Heating and Cooling concession assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the worsening of their condition.

The medical cooling and heating concession is up to $226.67 for the 2019-20 financial year and is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession.

This concession is not applied through Lumo Energy. It is managed directly through the Department of Human Services (DHS). If eligible, this concession will not appear on your energy bill.

Contact the Department of Human Services (DHS) to see if you’re eligible.

Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS)

If you are finding it hard paying for your electricity due to financial difficulty, and you are eligible for a concession, you may qualify for a relief payment through the Department of Human Services (DHS) Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS).

To apply for EEPS assistance, you will need to visit a financial counsellor who will make an assessment before an application can be lodged. To find a financial counsellor near you, visit the ASIC MoneySmart website.

Please visit the SA Government Financial Aid website for more information.

Non-Government or Community Assistance

Not everyone is eligible for government assistance but sometimes you may need a little extra help. Non-government and or community assistance can be available through local community service providers such as a community welfare organisations or financial counsellors.

To locate a help centre near you, please contact the National Debt Helpline.

Some not for profit organisations you can contact to obtain more information on other assistance available to you are Anglicare, Salvation Army, Australian Red Cross, St Vincent De Paul Society.