I’m sure a lot of you get bills and important notices emailed to you, but sometimes things have to arrive in your letterbox. You don’t want to fall behind on your bills or lose shiny new credit cards, so we’ve created a list of who you should get in touch with to avoid any issues.

Who needs to know you’re moving

Leading up to your move, keep an eye on what mail you receive in your letter box. Here is a list to get you started:

  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Credit card companies
  • Banks and financial institutes
  • Utilities providers (like Lumo)
  • Private Insurance companies
  • Medicare
  • Australian Electoral Commission
  • Motor Vehicle Registration
  • Your doctor and dentist
  • Phone and Internet companies
  • Local Council
  • Educational Institutions
  • Loyalty card providers

Get in a month early

As a general rule, try to get in contact with these organisations as soon as you know you’re moving, the earlier the better. That way, you avoid receiving last minute letters at the wrong address and you don’t forget during the rush of moving week.

Start with your home phone and internet providers, arrange for them to disconnect these services at your existing property and connect your new property the day before you move in.

Once that’s done, contact your bank and insurance providers. The last thing you want is to have a new credit card or statement with private information sent to the wrong house. You’ll also want to make sure your car, property and/or belongings are insured at the new address.

How to tell everyone you’re moving

By visiting this government website, you can:

  • Change your address
  • Inform your local council
  • Inform your local Roads authority

Certain service providers will require that you send the change of address in writing in a letter through the post or visit their local branch in person, with others an email will suffice. To make things easier, start by visiting their website and find out what their process is - you might be able to make the change online in minutes.

Many energy companies (like Lumo) allow you to connect your electricity and gas online, aim to organise this 2 weeks before. If you’re in Victoria or South Australia you can view Lumo’s energy plans here.

A list of everyone you should notify

Use this checklist to make sure that you notify all of the right places about your move. While you’re in the process of contacting the below companies, consider switching to email. It will save time if you ever have to move again, plus it’s better for the environment!

  • The post office – Do this by visiting your local branch or filling out the online form.
  • Australian Taxation Office – Visit their website to change your address.
  • Credit card companies
  • Banks and financial institutions – This can be done by visiting your local branch or over the phone.
  • Utility providers – Visit your electricity and gas retailers website to connect your new property and don’t forget to disconnect the old one.
  • Home insurance
  • Car insurance
  • Health insurance
  • Government agencies – If you have benefits through any government agency, make sure you notify them of your new address prior to your move.
  • Doctor and dentist – If you are moving out of town, call your doctor and dentist and ask for your medical files to be transferred to your new physicians.
  • Phone and Internet providers – Disconnect your old home and connect the new one.
  • Mobile phone provider
  • Loyalty programs.
  • Social clubs (golf, tennis, gyms)
  • Magazine subscriptions
  • Schools and education facilities – ask that all progress reports be forwarded to the institutions that you or your children will be attending

To wrap it up

Changing your address is a very important part of moving house, it can be a big task so use this checklist to make it easier. By being organised you will feel less stressed and also have the peace of mind that your personal information is sent to you and not in the wrong hands.